In Accessibility First in Podcasts, I wrote that since my podcasts are scripted, I don’t have to work hard to get a transcript.
But I found that writing a script was both hard and resulted in a podcast that sounded written. Even if I memorize and perform it well, it didn’t sound like my spoken “voice”.
So, I decided to
- Start with a rough outline
- Make a recording of a lot of extemporaneous speaking on the subject
- Make a transcription of the recording using Whisper from OpenAI
- Edit the transcription into a coherent story, but try to preserve the phrasing
- Practice it
- Make a recording that basically follows the script. It’s ok to make mistakes, rephrase, or veer off.
- Edit the recording to remove mistakes and reduce overly long pauses
- Listen to the recording and fix the script so it’s now a transcript.
The key thing is step #4 which helps me make a script that sounds like me talking (not writing).