Every book on writing tells you to avoid adverbs (and even adjectives). I find that hard to do in first drafts, but I do try to remove them in edits. You can tell that I haven’t done enough editing if you see that I “really like” something or that a new programming language is “pretty good”.
- The Golden Book on Writing by David Lambuth
- The Elements of Style by Strunk & White
- Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
- Write While True Episode 6: Editing First Drafts
- Write While True Episode 7: Find Your Voice
- Edit in Sweeps